Late Summer Market
Zoom Events is visiting Tenterden for a Late Summer Market from Friday 11th – Sunday 13th September 2020. The market will replace the annual Tenterden Food & Drink Festival held on the Recreation Ground since 2017, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Visitors can expect to find a wide selection of freshly prepared street foods, artisan grocery products, arts, crafts, clothing and accessories. However, to manage expectations, please keep in mind this is a completely different format to the food and drink festival held regularly in previous years to keep visitors and traders safe at this time.
New Limits on Social Gatherings
This week the UK government announced that social gatherings of more than six people in England will be banned from Monday 14th September 2020 for the foreseeable future due to a recent rise in Covid-19 cases. This reduces the maximum number of people who can gather socially from different households from 30 to six, although we understand that venues and visitor attractions will be able to hold more people in total if they comply with government Covid-19 secure guidelines with groups (of more than six) from different households being separated from each other.
We ask that visitors to this weekend’s Tenterden Late Summer Market do not gather in groups of more than six people where they are from different households even though the market is being held prior to the 14th September to ensure we keep people as safe as possible. We will have increased stewards in attendance who will be maintaining social distancing rules and ask that you comply with their requests of limiting social groups to less than six people within the market area including the outdoor distanced seating space and queuing systems.
Sanitation and Social Distancing Measures at the Tenterden Late Summer Market
Zoom Events is not holding food & drink, beer or music festival formats during the summer of 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Following the success of our Summer Markets in July and August, we have extended this format with a series of four Late Summer Markets during September 2020. These are being held at outdoor locations where it is possible to achieve social distancing with a market format.
Here are some of the things we are implementing to help keep visitors and traders at Tenterden Late Summer Market safe during the Covid-19 pandemic:
- Opening hours which are in-keeping with a regular market with earlier opening and closing times
- A layout of stalls which enables adequate spacing for effective social distancing
- Line marking and event signage to assist social distancing and queuing
- Socially distanced seating area with tables well separated from each other
- One-way systems
- Low key bar area – there will be no cooking demos and limited children’s activities unlike the entertainment provided at our food and drink festival held in previous years. These features could encourage crowds of people to form and dwell in close proximity hence they will not be present
- Provision of hand sanitising stations throughout the market
- Sneeze guards in place at the bar and stalls where appropriate
- Traders will bring their own supplies of disposable gloves and sanitiser with extra supplies available from the market operator if required
- Extra sanitising of tables, seating and toilet facilities during the market
- Extra stewards to oversee social distancing and sanitation measures
- Reduced advertising to a local audience
If you are attending the Tenterden Late Summer Market, please help us to keep everyone safe whilst having a fun outdoor shopping experience by:
- Adhering to event signage regarding social distancing and one-way systems
- Utilising hand sanitising stations and practising good personal hygiene, particularly before eating
- Bringing a contactless payment card if possible – most of the traders accept card payments
- Staying within your own family / friendship group and avoid mixing with other groups of people
- Bringing a mask to wear whilst shopping – although this is an outdoor market, you may feel it is safer to wear a mask. This is not compulsory but the market will create an environment where mask wearing is supported as an additional precaution
Street food vendors attending the Tenterden Late Summer Market will include some familiar faces and new outlets too. Try the ever-popular pork or chicken souvlaki or savour British meats cooked in a smoker oven. Alongside there will be freshly prepared traditional Mexican dishes, Chinese street food, grilled German sausages, arepas, salad boxes and crepes making for plenty of options to try. An outdoor seating area with distanced tables will be available for alfresco dining, whilst queuing systems for the bar and food outlets will help to ensure the event remains safe.
A selection of handmade groceries from continental fine foods, baklava and saucisson to locally produced relish will be available to purchase and enjoy at home. Pick up some award-winning waxed cheese truckles, tickle the taste buds with homemade fudge or tuck into a chocolate treat from The Chocolate Box.
Arts and Crafts
The foodie treats at Tenterden Late Summer Market will be accompanied by an array of stalls with unique arts, crafts, clothing and accessories to explore in the open air. You will find unique, handmade items including soaps, pottery, artwork, fragrance lamps, Italian clothing and much more. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to pick up some fantastic items for the home & garden or exciting gift ideas.
Join us on Tenterden Recreation Ground from 12pm – 6pm on Friday 11th September, 10am – 7pm on Saturday 12th September and Sunday 13th September from 11am – 6pm.